Friday, June 29, 2012

Dos and Don'ts of Car Accidents

So I bought a new car. It's a 2006 Chevy Equinox with about 65,000 miles on it. Here are some pictures:





So, now things from the accident are pretty much wrapped up. I still have an August court date so that I can say "listen: epileptic seizure, man" and hopefully get the ticket dismissed, but I'm ready to carry on with my travels. The itinerary has been modified to omit Ohio, sadly, but we're hoping to get everything else in.


Anyway, now that most things are taken care of, I thought I would share with you some dos and don'ts about getting into car accidents. I mean, probably the obvious one is "Don't get into a car accident" because they suck, but if you HAVE to have one, remember:

Don't...

1. ...have your accident in Shallotte, NC during "the season." It is much too small a town to be having an accident in

2. ...have your accident while moving to a city. You end up with entirely too much stuff to move from one car to another.

3. ...have your accident if you don't have a permanent address. I can not emphasize this enough. It is a ridiculous pain in the patookis to obtain financing for a new car, register said new car, or really do anything involving the obtaining of a new car without a permanent address.

4. ...forget to put your vehicle title in the "do not pack" pile. If you follow Don'ts #2 and #3, this won't be a problem, but otherwise, your title will be stuck with your household effects in an inaccessible storage unit and you will either have to order a duplicate title (2-3 weeks) or wait until you move into your house (4-5 weeks) before the insurance company can give you your monies.

5. ...have your accident anywhere near your birthday, because then everyone who finds out it's your birthday soon said "Happy birthday" in an ironic tone, and that's annoying.

Do...

1. ...call the local bishop. Church members love helping out perfect strangers

2. ...accept invitations to dinner. You are likely to make a lovely friend.

3. ...tell everyone you're trying to work with your sob story, that makes them very eager to be particularly helpful.

4. ...hold your ground at the dealership when you are buying your new car. As long as you are not being unreasonable, they will come to your number.

5. ...be grateful that all post-accident things work out more or less smoothly even with the complications from the don'ts mentioned above.

1 comment:

  1. I like it! That's one of the vehicles on our Could Purchase list. Gets pretty good gas mileage and looks nice.

    I love your list. "I can not emphasize this enough." I was giggling. (Oh, sorry. Does that count as laughing at your pain? I just meant I think you're funny and clever.)

    ReplyDelete