Sunday, January 6, 2013

New Year!

Here's the run down on how I have spent the first week of 2013.

Tuesday, 1 Jan: Rang in the new year by folding laundry and watching the new Star Trek movie, wake up yoga session, saw Life of Pi and had lunch with Reed, read for a bit and then had dinner and saw Les Miserables with Tim. Good day.

Wednesday, 2 Jan: Had my first real day at the free medical clinic I'm volunteering at. It's been a bit of a hassle trying to get everything in order, but I very much enjoyed finally starting to make a contribution.

Thursday, 3 Jan: Ballet. Love.

Friday, 4 Jan: Nothing. I know this is lame, but everything felt so busy all week that an evening of nothing was quite welcome.

Saturday, 5 Jan: Bought cruise tickets. I need to get out of the cold, but I'm trying to save my leave for the awesome UK trip Loo and I will be taking this summer, so a weekend cruise to the Bahamas seemed like an excellent choice. Super excited!

Sunday, 6 Jan: Obviously, today hasn't really happened yet, but I plan to spend it cooking up meals for the week and attending church (which doesn't start until 2pm. So late!)

Anyway, I've heard from a lot of people lately that they don't believe in New Years resolutions, and that's fine. I kind of love them though, with the caveat that I prefer to call them goals and not resolutions. I know that seems like a nitpicky thing, but I feel like goals better expresses what I mean. Anyway, I looked back on my resolutions for the last few years so see what my track record was, and I'm pleased to report that it's about 50%. My trend is meet one goal 100%, meet another goal about 50%, and pretty much just not meet a third goal. Which isn't bad, I think.

Last year I tried to do a yearly theme, and that pretty much just didn't work out for me at all. I was insufficiently mindful of the theme -- especially when my life started exploding around April/May -- and so it didn't really do me any good. I accomplished some good things that were related to the themes that I had settled on, e.g. I was probably the most consistent about gymming last year than I have ever been, but it wasn't because I was mindful of it.

So I've spent the last few weeks pondering and praying about how I wanted to approach 2013. I realized that I needed to think in terms of who I wanted to be along with thinking about what I wanted to do, and I've settled on three things that I want to do this year that will help me become the person I want to be.

1.) I want to be a person who communicates with God, so I will strive daily to pray mindfully.
2.) I want to be a person who recognizes and catalogs the blessings in her life, so I will journal daily.
3.) I want to be a good housekeeper, so I will spend at least 5 minutes a day cleaning my house.

There are other things I'm working on and doing, but those are the ones that I want to be most mindful of and the ones that I want to focus on all year. I feel like my life will definitely be enriched by meeting at least one of those 100%, as is my wont

Have you made goals for the new year? What are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment