Sunday, September 9, 2012

Shenandoah

So I woke up yesterday and the universe spoke to me. It said "Jules, you need to go hiking today." So I did. I drove down to Shenandoah National Forest and hiked what they call the White Oak Canyon/Cedar Run Loop, and I'm going to tell you, that hike ain't no joke. About eight and a half miles, and steep. But really pretty.


I was unable to find someone to come with me on short notice, so I ended up just going alone, and honestly, I really enjoyed that (for those of you with safety concerns, don't worry; I let three people know that I was going and where I would be hiking, chose a relatively popular route, and checked in with the park ranger). It was nice to be able to just go at my own pace and be alone with my thoughts and stuff. And the biggest danger I found myself in was when I slipped on a slick rock and fell on my face. Which is the only reason I somewhat regret not having anyone along, because I'm sure that was hilarious.

Watch for slippery rocks

Anyway, it was a tough hike and I'm definitely feeling the descent in my calves today, but I think I was smiling literally the whole time. Particularly after I got to the summit.


And also when I made it back to the car. The last few miles took some grit. And it started pouring rain, which was fun for a while, but then my socks got wet, and that's no fun. Anyway, I'm glad the universe told me to go because it was awesome. Now I need to go back in a few weeks when Fall finished turning all those trees to fun shades of Autumn. More pictures from the hike can be found here.

1 comment: